Under limited direction, facilitates and enhances hospital efficiency and patient satisfaction by assuring and expediting appropriate assignment/placement of patients to hospital services, including all admissions, e.g., direct admits, transfers, same-day-surgery, as emergency and other intra-departmental admissions/transfers. Promotes consistent, application, effective processes and clinical service accountability for the Bed Management Process. Assists in the implementation of policies and procedures related to the Bed Management Process. Functions as a lead and resource person and utilizes expertise in bed management to lead the team. Participates in the selection, scheduling, educating, evaluating, and monitoring the work of Care Management Technician personnel. Performs duties of a Care Management Technician, as needed. Performs various functions related to appropriate placement of patients to hospital services, including hospital-wide decisions regarding direct admits, transfers, pre-admissions review, as well as emergency and other intra-departmental admissions. Assigns patients to appropriate nursing unit according to knowledge of hospital bed capacity and utilization. Maintains contact with numerous hospital departments such as patient management (admitting), nursing units, emergency department and other points of entry into the hospital in order to effectively utilize hospital capacity. Expedites patient admissions/transfers, as well as coordinates problem resolution involving consideration of acuity (via consultation with clinical personnel) of patient, diagnosis, Length of Stay (LOS) in ED as applicable, and preparation of vacant beds. Routinely interacts with all disciplines including ED physicians, other department managers/directors, and unit personnel to resolve and coordinate patient placement issues. Frequently interacts with senior leadership during bed placement shortage and participates in the decision-making process to ensure coordination of patients based upon needs. Develops and monitors resource utilization and manages appropriate scheduling adjustments. Monitors completion and accuracy of reports and takes corrective action. Coordinates work procedures and protocols with other departments as required. Coordinates and participates in special projects, as assigned. Assists with insurance verification and/or registration as necessary.
1. High school diploma or equivalent. Medical Assistant certification, license to practice as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), or college coursework in heath care preferred. Additional training in computer applications preferred.
2. Three to five years related experience in an outpatient clinic or hospital setting, including six to twelve months of data entry experience. Experience with emergency department admissions and knowledge of third party payers preferred.
3. One to two years work experience in an insurance, medical records, billing or related area desirable.
4. Working knowledge of medical terminology desired.
1. Analytical skills and abilities to assess hospital capability, service options, resolve problems that typically involve many departments working together, determine patient needs, understand third party regulations and processes, identify options to meet patient needs.
2. Interpersonal and communication skills to effectively collaborate and negotiate with all types of hospital personnel (including department managers/directors), medical staff (including department chiefs), patients, and families; and to effectively communicate sensitive or confidential information with patient, patient family and various levels of health facility personnel, and a variety of external organizations.
3. Ability to resolve conflict, including situations where there may be conflicting priorities.
4. Skills necessary to work independently and coordinate/prioritize multiple tasks.
5. Leadership skills necessary to guide and coordinate the work and activities of employee teams.
6. Ability to understand and apply various third party payor requirements, verification procedures and benefits.
7. Ability to adapt to technologies used in work environment.
8. Ability to work within a complex environment and handle multiple priorities.
Job: Laboratory and Clinical Technicians
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Job Type: Full-time
Shift Type: Days
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Internal Number: 1905039919
About DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
“Tenet Healthcare Corporation is a diversified healthcare services company with 115,000 employees united around a common mission: to help people live happier, healthier lives. Through its subsidiaries, partnerships and joint ventures, including United Surgical Partners International, the Company operates general acute care and specialty hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care centers and other outpatient facilities. Tenet's Conifer Health Solutions subsidiary provides technology-enabled performance improvement and health management solutions to hospitals, health systems, integrated delivery networks, physician groups, self-insured organizations and health plans.