Swedish Medical Center is looking for Chaplain \(Per Diem, Variable shift\) at Swedish First Hill Campus in Seattle, WA\.
We are seeking a chaplain to provide compassionate support for patients, their family members and staff\. This position is responsible for supportive work providing spiritual and emotional care to patients, families and staff of Swedish Health Services\. We provide spiritual care for patients, their families and loved ones, and employees\. We work with a variety of religious traditions and are open to and supportive of a wide range of spiritualities\. We have a religiously diverse staff\.
We have a high degree of professionalism\- all of our chaplains are board certified or in the process of becoming board certified\. We provide education for spiritual leaders, theological students and health care professionals\. We provide ritual and sacramental care: worship services, memorials; baptisms, weddings communion, meditation, and prayer\. We provide faith group major holiday service \(such as Christmas, Easter, Lent, Passover, Hanukkah, Bodhi day, Ramadan, memorials\) and services for meditation, prayer and healing\. We are a liaison to community clergy and faith groups\.
In this position you will:
- Care for patients and families in the hospital\. As part of the multidisciplinary team, we allow the patients spiritualbeliefs and practices that impact their care to be heard, honored and respected\. We collaborate with members of theinterdisciplinary health care team in identifying and addressing problems\.
- Demonstrate and articulate the meaning of spiritual care in the context of health and illness, and advocate for itseffective inclusion in the health care we provide\.
- Provide initial spiritual assessments, taking appropriate action and/or follow\-up, including but not limited to theprovision of direct spiritual counsel, prayer and sacraments\.
- Maintain written records of visits to patients and families\. We respect the confidentiality of all patients, families andstaff\.
- Act as liaison between patients/families and community clergy\.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- One year in ministry; experience in a medical setting\.
- Open to and supportive of a wide range of spiritualities; ability to triage and respond effectively
- Ability to work with interdisciplinary health care team
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge and practice of theology; knowledge and practice of grieving process Knowledge and practice of medical ethical issues\.
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Completion of 4 units of CPE M\. Div \(preferred\) or equivalent degree\.
- Eligibility for Certification by the Association of Professional Chaplains, National Association of Catholic Chaplains or National Association of Jewish Chaplains: be provisionally certified: or be eligible to obtain certification within 1\-3 years of employment\.
- Ordination or commissioning for ministry\.
- Endorsement by ecclesial body for chaplaincy or ministry\.
- Must be a member in good standing within endorsing body\.
About the Edmonds Campus\.
Swedish/Edmonds \(formerly Stevens Hospital\) has been providing sound and thoughtful care for patients in the greater Seattle area for more than 45 years\. We pride ourselves in employing only the most qualified and caring professionals\. We are not simply a hospital or a workplace\. We are a family\. We are a community\. Our mission is to improve the health and well\-being of the community through local, high\-quality and compassionate health care services\. On Sept\. 1, 2010, Stevens joined the Swedish family and became Swedish/Edmonds to create an innovative, regional health\-care delivery network that provides more local services, while giving residents greater access to the latest medical treatments and the comprehensive services of the Swedish system\.
The Swedish/Edmonds campus includes: 217 licensed beds 450 of the most qualified physicians and specialists on medical staff 1,400 staff including clinical and non\-clinical personnel
Full scope of medical and surgical services, including Level IV Trauma emergency medicine, diagnostic, treatment and support services
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits — see our website for details
Our Non\-Profit Mission: Improve the health and well\-being of each person we serve\.
Since 1910, Swedish has been a hallmark of excellence\. Swedish has grown to become the largest non\-profit health provider in the Greater Seattle area with 11,000 employees, more than 2,800 physicians and 1,700 volunteers\. Swedish is committed to being the best place to receive care, and also the best place to work\. We reward our employees with generous compensation and benefits, individualized orientation, education and a supportive work environment\. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer\. Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law\.
Schedule: On Call
Job Category: Spiritual/Mission/Pastoral Care
Req ID: 149371