Los Angeles, CA. VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System is currently seeking a certified CLS, MLS, or MT to join our Microbiology laboratory team. The position will be primarily based at West Los Angeles Healthcare Center, a Department of Veterans Affairs hospital, located in Los Angeles, California. This is a unique opportunity to join a congenial pathology group, which promotes a balanced and healthy work / family life, and provides opportunity to build strong relationships with other physicians/staff within the health system we serve.
Under the direct technical supervision of the Microbiology Supervisor and the administrative supervision of the Laboratory Manager, the Microbiology Technologist independently performs a variety of clinical assays and the associated supporting work for use in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Performs start-up, maintenance, and troubleshooting procedures on the instruments and laboratory equipment. Performs quality control and quality assurance procedures as required and authorized by the Laboratory Directors (Director and Technical Supervisor). All tasks shall be performed in accordance with established departmental procedures and documentation protocols.
• Performs high-complexity tests as authorized by the technical supervisors.
• Performs routine and complex chemical, cytologic, hematologic, histologic, microscopic, morphologic, immunologic, and/or microbiologic procedures on blood and/or other body fluids or specimens using manual or automated techniques and information systems.
• Performs testing of newly developed lab procedures and techniques, as directed and report on results.
• Maintains complete and accurate documentation and records.
• Performs case review prior to final report.
• Trains other staff as assigned.
• Perform other related duties as qualified, trained and assigned.
• This job has no supervisory responsibilities.